Before You Start
- Edge the door open and remove locks and handles.
- Leave the door frame until last as splashes of paint that get on the frame will be covered later.
Painting Flush Doors: A Step-By-Step Guide
- Paint from the top down in vertical strokes about two feet at a time.
- Join each section with light brush strokes and cross brush to even out the paint.
- When a section is painted lightly brush down over the area in order to keep a wet edge for the next strip to blend into.
Painting Panelled Doors: A Step-By-Step Guide
- Panelled doors must be painted in sections.
- Panels and mouldings should be painted first followed by the remainder of the door.
- Use a smaller paint brush for the mouldings.
- Do not overload the paint brush when painting as this will cause runs and drips to form.
- For glass panelled doors use a paint shield or masking tape to keep paint off the glass.
- If paint gets on the glass, remove it immediately with white spirits.
- Apply square sections of Paint working down from the top.
- Pick up wet edges for a good blend.
- Lay off with light vertical brush strokes.
The products and accessories you need to complete this project are available for purchase in Pat McDonnell Paints stores nationwide and via our online Shop.
Why not place your order today?